21 July 2009

A Great Statement

Hi guys,
I wanted to share this artist with you.
I find his statement fascinating and relatable.
Tell me what you think...


Christopher Hall


Artist Statement


A. Artist Statement from 1975 – 1980
I meant to color outside of the lines.

B. Artist Statement from 1980 – 1985
That isn’t how to draw a battleship and tank.
This is how you draw a battleship and tank.

C. Artist Statement from 1985 – 1990
I like learning about history, and drawing pictures of historical events, things like Civil War battle scenes. Sailing ships and airplanes make good subjects, as does drawing from baseball cards.

D. Artist Statement from 1990 – 1994
I don’t know what I like; I know what I don’t like. Girls are cool, sometimes. I can’t wait to graduate and get out of here, but what does it matter, the world is going to blow up in a few years anyways.

E. Artist Statement from 1994 – 1998.
2 x 2 = 4

-2 x -2 = 4

F. Artist Statement from 1999 – 2005.
I paint because I haven't any choice but to. It is a strange kind of possession, something very primitive, preternatural, supernatural even, that burns through my blood. It oozes slow like lava and boils over, suddenly exploding, like a volcano. It is the occasional earthquake of the soul that has to be dealt with. Art is my way of making sense of the world; it is a catharsis. I paint because if I did not I would be a detriment to society. I'd probably burn your house down. Art allows me an outlet that safeguards me physically, mentally, and spiritually. Art allows me to explore avenues of experience that would otherwise be denied to me because of poverty, law, and the physical limits of humanity. Art is absolute freedom and absolute freedom is what I live for. I don’t want my art to reflect life, I want it to be life, always growing, unpredictable, and out of control.


G. Artist Statement from 2005 – present.
Humanity, with all its foibles, strivings, successes, and sins, is infinitely more interesting to me than anything that is polished, perfected, theoretical, or removed


christopherhall_RaiseFromtheDead.jpg

Raise from the Dead
2008
30 x 40
oil, acrylic, cardboard on canvas, 2008


Source

No comments: