17 March 2009

Larger Than Life




















I am starting insanely large paintings; the largest being about 9'x5'.  There is nothing more exhilarating or powerful than creating one of these beings.  Not to mention the ultimate feeling of accomplishment.
I am feeling more draw to Mark Rothko than usual.  I think it is because of the size I am now working in, and he is probably my number one favorite abstract painter of almost all time.  This being said, my thoughts wander to the lack of women in the recent history of abstract painting.  Abbey joked about these men, Rothko, Motherwell, Newmann, Pollock, de Kooning, etc. making big work as an ego trip.  And who are we kidding?  Men do want to be the kings of their castles, and have a the biggest castle while they're at it.



No comments: